Marriage-Based Green Card for LGBTQ Couples
The process of obtaining a green card through marriage for LGBTQ couples is identical to that of heterosexual couples.
LGBTQ Marriages in the United States
Marriage equality is the right of all couples to marry, regardless of gender. Marriage equality is a civil rights issue, but it’s also about family values — including children’s health.
Green Card Process Through Marriage for LGBTQ Couples
What if the Foreign National is Living Abroad?
Should I Be Concerned About Discrimination Against My LGBT Marriage?
- File your next tax return as “married.” You can also amend previous tax returns to reflect your marital status;
- Request friends and family to write statements or affidavits on behalf of you and your spouse;
- Obtain copies of tickets or hotel receipts from trips you have taken together;
- Collect receipts for gifts you have purchased for each other;
- Take photos of your dates, gatherings with friends and family on holidays and special occasions, your home, and places you have visited together at various times;
- Write statements about your relationship, detailing how you met, fell in love, planned the wedding, and so on;
- Continue to gather evidence of your relationship even after submitting your petition. This will be helpful if USCIS requests additional information.
The Marriage Green Card Interview for LGBTQ Couples
- Expert Guidance: IBP Immigration Law’s knowledgeable attorneys understand the complexities of immigration law, particularly as it pertains to LGBTQ couples. They provide expert guidance throughout the process, ensuring that all legal requirements are met and that couples are well-informed about their rights and obligations;
- Personalized Approach: Recognizing that each couple’s situation is unique, IBP Immigration Law takes a personalized approach to address individual concerns and challenges. They work closely with clients to develop a strategy that maximizes their chances of success in obtaining a marriage green card;
- Thorough Case Preparation: The team at IBP Immigration Law meticulously prepares all necessary forms and documents, ensuring that couples submit a complete and accurate application package. They also help gather compelling evidence to prove the authenticity of the marriage and address any potential issues that might arise during the application process;
- Interview Preparation: IBP Immigration Law assists couples in preparing for the immigration interview by reviewing their forms and documents, providing guidance on potential questions, and offering tips on how to present themselves confidently and effectively. They can also represent LGBTQ couples during the interview, ensuring that the process goes smoothly and that their rights are protected;
- Ongoing Support: Throughout the marriage green card process, IBP Immigration Law provides ongoing support and communication, keeping clients informed about the status of their application and addressing any concerns or questions that may arise;
- Advocacy: In the event of any challenges or complications, the lawyers at IBP Immigration Law are ready to advocate on behalf of their LGBTQ clients, ensuring that they receive fair treatment and that their rights are upheld.